Who Framed Christine McConnell

 Yes, it’s a Roger Rabbit reference. Of course…..



For those of you who got one of Christine’s amazing canvas print of her self portrait (see https://youtu.be/nb8p1M7BwSw as a reference of her oil painting), I wanted to find a quick, easy but decent way to put it on a stretcher or frame for display. What I ended up doing was to buy an 14”x18” “Gallery Wrapped Canvas” at Michaels (~17 bucks, but remember to get coupons on the app). I chose the level 2 as the frame seemed a little bit better quality. The following are the steps I took to mount (this took exactly one hour):

1. Remove the string that holds the edge of the canvas and the staples that hold the canvas and the frame. Very careful with the screwdriver during this operation, as it can easily slip and cut you. Make sure to remove the staples from the working area!



2- Mark the center of the canvas on each edge, as well as a 1” and 1/4” lines from each edge for reference 



3-Add double stick tape (I’m using an industrial strength one) on the 1/4” lines. Since the corners will fold, you don’t have to go all the way to the edge. Make sure to press the tape firmly. Cut away the excess



4- Position the canvas as centered as you can with the frame on top. Once happy with the distances, hold things in place with some weight



5- Starting with the long edges, remove the backing tape and apply to the frame, from the center towards the edges. Press firmly. Do the same of the shorter edges


6- Fold the corners in a gracious way and bring the extra canvas to the back. Use a staple to hold the extra material


Bonus round: get inspired by https://youtube.com/@BaumgartnerRestoration channel and make little wood keys to help stretch the canvas. I used African mahogany, because it was what I had on the scrap bin


7- Hang in your favorite spot. For me, this will be the “patron saint” picture at the entrance to my workshop!


In the future, I will make an actual outside frame for it….stay tuned….

Soundtrack while I did this: Jean-Michel Jarre’s Oxygène album


Comments